Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Best of 2013 - Top 10 Pop Songs

This year, Your New Favorite Song won't be doing it's annual Top 50 Artists list. Instead I decided to do FOUR separate Best Of lists (maybe five if I'm actually motivated to think on New Year's Day). As always, my lists are based solely on what I like. Chart success/sales/critical acclaim have no place here.

Yesterday, we looked at my favorite concerts of the year. Today, let's take a look at my Top 10 Favorite Pop Songs. To qualify, the single had to be released in 2013 (even if the song appeared on an album released prior to 2013).

10. Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines - I could have easily put Miley's Wrecking Ball or Selena's Come and Get It in the No. 10 spot as all three songs are catchy as all hell. In the end I had to go with Dr. Jason Seaver's kid.

9. Katy Perry - Roar - Katy Perry is one of my favorite pop singers. While Roar is one of my favorite songs this year, I had to dock her some points due to it sounding way to similar to my No. 1 (spoiler).

8. Natalia Kills - Problem - This is one of the coolest songs of the year. If you haven't heard it and you like songs with a bit of an electronic edge definitely check it out.

7. Lorde - Royals - She's this year's younger, more immediately likable Lana Del Rey.

6. Lady Gaga - Applause - Everyone seems to be trashing Art Pop, but I'd put Applause up with there with Gaga's finest.

5. Icona Pop (feat. Charli XCX) - I Love It - The song title says it all.

4. OneRepublic - Counting Stars - I picked up their Native album on a whim for $3.99. Counting Stars was an immediate favorite.

3. Taylor Swift - 22 - This song, about the joys of being 22, is pure pop bliss.

2. P!nk (feat. Nate Ruess) - Just Give Me A Reason - I thought this was an odd pairing when I first heard about it, but P!nk and the singer from fun. sound tremendous together on this song about trying to hold a relationship together.

1. Sara Bareilles - Brave - While Sara wrote Brave about the struggles of a friend of her's coming out, this song should be a call for everyone to simply be true to themselves.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh oooooh ooooh you know I like this list, but I do have a few disagreements.

    1. I was really disappointed with Katy Perry in 2013. I had her as a runner up for my Biggest Disappointment. (Karmin was #1 in that category)

    2. Thank you for the "(feat. Charli XCX)". Personal opinion - that song was billed backwards.

    3. Is "Brave" the reason you own a Surface? :)

    ReplyDelete