Friday, January 3, 2014

Best of 2013 - Top 10 Country Albums

Your New Favorite Song's week of Best Of lists finally comes to an end. This is the big one: the Top 10 Country Albums of 2013. This list is based solely on what I enjoyed and listened to the most, and has nothing to do with the charts or record sales. Will Kellie Pickler take home the prize for a second straight year? Or will a country newcomer follow her arrow to No. 1? Read on and find out!

10. Maggie Rose - Cut To Impress - I couldn't get enough of Maggie's soulful and sassy voice in 2013. Her song Better breaks my heart every time I hear it (which is why I posted a different video). VIDEO: I Ain't Your Mama

9. Blake Shelton - Based on a True Story - Yeah, I still get a big dumb goofy grin on my face when I hear Boys 'Round Here. VIDEO: Boys 'Round Here

8. Sturgil Simpson - High Top Mountain - Old school country goodness. VIDEO: Life Ain't Fair and the World is Mean

7. The Band Perry - Pioneer - Better Dig Two was simply the coolest song on country radio this year. VIDEO: Better Dig Two

6. Brandy Clark - 12 Stories - She's written plenty of hits for others, now it's her time to shine. VIDEO: Stripes

5. Jason Isbell - Southeastern - Southeastern is Jason Isbell's defining moment...well, until he records his next album. VIDEO: Traveling Alone

4. Julie Roberts - Good Wine and Bad Decisions - Julie has one of the most expressive and soulful voices in country music. Good Wine and Bad Decisions, besides being an awesome album/song title, is her best work to date...and I adore her first three albums. VIDEO: He Made A Woman Out Of Me

3. Kellie Pickler - The Woman I Am - Kellie's 100 Proof was my top album of 2012. The Woman I Am is every bit as good. Her No. 3 spot this year speaks more to my top two than to any perceived "drop-off." VIDEO: Someone Somewhere Tonight

2. Ashley Monroe - Like A Rose - I am completely drawn to Ashley's bittersweet vocals and songs. I could have easily put Like A Rose at No. 1 and almost did. Consider it 1b. VIDEO: Like A Rose

ARTIST OF THE YEAR
1. Kacey Musgraves - Same Trailer Different Park - Great storytelling, fantastic songs and one of the most refreshing voices in country music. I hope Kacey Musgraves is singing to us for a long, long time.



21 Honorable mentions in no particular order because it's the right thing to do...
Ashton Shepherd - This is America
Lori McKenna - Massachusetts
Tim McGraw - Two Lanes of Freedom
Brad Paisley - Wheelhouse
Justin Moore - Off the Beaten Path
Jaida Dreyer - I Am Jaida Dreyer
Katie Armiger - Fall Into Me
Keith Urban - Fuse
LeAnn Rimes - Spitfire
Lady Antebellum - Golden
Charlie Worsham - Rubberband
Holly Williams - The Highway
Gary Allan - Set You Free
Tyler Farr - Redneck Crazy
Sarah Jarosz - Build Me Up From Bones
Luke Bryan - Crash My Party
Thomas Rhett - It Goes Like This
Chris Young - A.M.
Amanda Shires - Down Fell The Doves
Randy Houser - How Country Feels
Thompson Square - Just Feels Good

No comments:

Post a Comment